Thursday 9 June 2016

My family & Other Animals



6 months ago when I was originally going through the diagnoses period I had no real idea where I’d be come the summer of 2016. I certainly didn’t think I’d be packing my bags & looking forward to 12 nights in a quiet resort in the North East of Corfu. We first stayed with the Krasaki family 10 years ago. This will be our forth visit, the family Anna, Kostas, Theo & Tasos are now friends rather than just people we book a holiday with. There were some pretty dark times around the middle of February when I wasn’t even sure I’d still be on this mortal coil come June. To be renewing my passport for another 10 years was one heck of an upside.

The past couple of weeks since my last update have been a real challenge. I’m afraid I’ve had to resort to Morphine on a number of evenings as my throat is becoming increasingly sore & painful. This isn’t where I envisaged being in my recovery. I’d been getting so much better, not needing any pain relief. I’m now having to sleep each afternoon, otherwise I’m totally shagged out. I’m having to be quite careful with what I eat so I don’t irritate the throat. At least with going to Greece I know the food will be fairly bland J I can’t take my supply of Morphine on holiday I’m afraid. It’s a controlled drug & I need a letter from either Scary or my GP advising why it’s been prescribed & what dosage I’m likely to take. I didn’t even think about this until Tuesday & have left it too late to get the letters done. I’ll be taking a dirty great big bottle of Ibroufen instead in my suitcase, if that doesn’t work I’ll go to plan B) Greek Brandy!! Kills 99% of all known germs.

I’d really hoped that by this point in recovery I’d be a lot closer to 100% than I am. I reckon I’m somewhere around 65% tops. Carol & I will have a great break. Sun, sea, sand & sleep. & when we’re back it’ll be just in time to celebrate Max reaching 18, so long as he does nothing stupid whilst we’re away that is. 

I’ll also need to evaluate where I am as far as work goes when I get back. I get the feeling that they’d like me to be back full time from July, at the moment I’m not sure I’m able to do that, but we shall see.

I’ve managed to complete 14,000 words of the book of this blog. That’s taken me to the end of February 2016 & equate to about 90 pages. My plan is to finish the script at the end of July & hopefully have the book ready for publication by the beginning of September. I’m indebted to a good friend who’s agreed to edit it for me & give me “Warts ‘n all” feedback on the first 14,000 words, so by the time I get back from Corfu it could be edited down to 7,000 words.

Now those of you who know me well would remember that the pre-cancer Paul Clark was a bit of a judgemental so ‘n so. It was a case of “Gay until proven straight!” Last night I watched “The Big C & me” on BBC. I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to really watch this program or not, but I’m so glad I did. It focused on 3 people who’d been diagnosed with cancer. One young lad who was one of 8 children. An elderly lady in her 80’s who was trying to decide if she should have treatment, & a young teenage girl who was facing the prospect of experimental treatment in the USA. I won’t spoil it for anyone who wants to watch on iPlayer, but what I will say is don’t judge a book by it’s cover. It took me back to my first days of meeting “Sports Direct Mum”, it made me cry.

Carol & I are off to Gatwick at silly o’clock tomorrow morning, flying out at 5.55am with SleazyJet. I’ve resigned myself to the knowledge that we’ll be treated like shoite from the minute we check in until the minute we pick up our baggage (hopefully) at Corfu airport, anything else is a Brucie Bonus!

My next appointment with Scary is scheduled for 30th June, so until then, Yamas & tackle out!

Thanks for reading as always.

To be continued……………………

#shouldertoshoulder

No comments:

Post a Comment

  That There Abroad Place “Learning to fly” Our last foreign holiday was in March 2020, just as the world would change dramatically. U...