Friday 2 June 2017

There can be only one…… The Kurgan#LifeWithCancer



If you use Social Media, and as you’re reading this I guess you do, I hope you’ll have seen the hashtag #LifeWithCancer this week. It’s the new campaign launched on Tuesday by Macmillan. The aim of the campaign is to highlight everyday “wins” where having cancer doesn’t matter, it’s a case of “still living my life” and not letting cancer win. I’ve posted on Instagram and Twitter this week using the #LifeWithCancer tag – the shots below were my choices, along with the reason for choosing them –

Tues 30th  

-          Cycling at dawn on holiday to see the sunrise and get a coffee. #LifeWithCancer is still life.

Wed 1st 

-          Playing rugby with Max on Boxing Day (It hurt!). #LifeWithCancer is still life.

Thur 2nd 

-          Taking photos of the Rams. #LifeWithCancer is still life.

Fri 3rd 

-          Spending time with my family. #LifeWithCancer is still life.

Some of the posts I’ve seen from other taggers have been truly inspirational. Each of us seem to have our own way of just carrying on. A few more people followed on Twitter and a few more being followed. It’s easy to drift off into the “It’s only me” thought, seeing others who are going through the same, or worse helps focus the mind somewhat. I was asked by the person I've been in contact with at Macmillan if I'd become involved in this latest campaign before I knew the bastard was back. But perhaps it's more relevant now that I'm fighting again, than when I was in remission. 

Macmillan Video  This is one of the video’s from the Macmillan site, it isn’t easy watching and I’ll happily admit that I shed a couple of tears whilst watching it on Tuesday morning.

One of the activities I try to continue to do, regardless of cancer is taking photos, it really is a passion of mine. So on Sunday I traveled down to Bournemouth for the annual 7s Festival. The Badgers were playing at the Festival, a lot of their players come from Rams and Max has had a couple of runs outs with them, he couldn’t make this one as he was working. Bournemouth is a pretty crap place to get to on a Bank Holiday weekend if the weather is half decent. So I left home at 6.30am, stopped for a coffee at the Motorway services and was parked up at the festival site by 8.30am. There were some “interesting” sights as I wandered around trying to find the Badgers. Folk had been camping on site since Friday evening, and I suspect one or two alcoholic beverages may have been partaken by a few of them. I eventually located the Badger boys and we headed off for the first pool match kicking off at 10am. A 19-19 draw was the result and already I started to feel a bit rough. I’ve not been sleeping well of late due to the tumour pushing against my throat and making any saliva go down the wrong way and waking me up coughing heavily. By the time the second match kicked off at lunchtime my throat was also becoming increasingly sore. So after shooting the match I decided, reluctantly, that I’d be better off getting away and home before it got any worse. It’s a shame I felt I had to leave as the boys went on to win the cup with some sparkling rugby so I’ve been told. The photos I took were “Ok”, but by no means the best I’ve shot this year, however they seem to have been well received with over 4,500 hits to date on my S2S page   S2S Photography .  A couple of hours sleep when I got home seemed to help, but by the time it came to go to bed I needed a large slug of my mate morphine to manage the pain.

 This is quite worrying for me. When I had my original diagnoses back in 2015 I didn’t feel ill until the effects of the RT took hold. This time I’m feeling pretty rough before any treatment has occurred and with at least another 4 weeks to go until surgery I really don’t want to have to rely on morphine so heavily. Whilst it helps with the pain, it can have side effects, such as fatigue, constipation, and mood swings. Perhaps this time I need to listen to my body a bit more and realise that I’m not going to be able to do all that I want to do. If I need sleep then I’m going to have sleep, be it in the middle of the day, or early in the evening, sleep is your friend.

Bank Holiday Monday was a bit of a washout. A quick trip into town to buy a shaving mirror and a small torch were the highlights. They’ll both be needed so that I can see to clean the stoma properly once it’s in place, sounds so romantic, but the hospital won’t discharge me until they’re sure I’m able to look after the wound myself.

The rather fetching picture at the top of this post is of The Kurgan. He was a character from the film Highlander, which is one of my all-time favourites. You’ll note that he’s got a scar from one ear to the other, apparently that is roughly what I’ll have once I wake up from surgery. As well as my voice box being removed, they’ll also relieve me of my lymph nodes to help to stop the spread of cancer. Apparently you don’t really need them, so I won’t miss them, but to remove them they need to create the scar to end all scars. My next fancy dress outfit is sorted I suspect.

I was first introduced to Highlander by a good friend of mine called Tony Hodson. Tony and I first met when we both worked at Lloyds Bank in Bracknell when we were still teenagers. We had a mutual love of rock music, specifically Queen, and as they produced the soundtrack to the film it was natural that there would be some sort of mutual liking. Tony was a massive Queen fan and somehow or other got invited to be part of the filming for Radio GaGa. When he called me to ask if I fancied going along to I jumped at the chance, even though it was on a Tuesday at Shepperton Studios in London. We both developed very heavy colds that day and threw “sickies” from work. It was one heck of a long day, arriving around 7am and filming not finishing until around 7pm. We were part of the clapping crowd, complete with white plastic suits, which I’ve still got somewhere. The highlight of the day for me was when Freddie came over as said “Dahling, could you possibly spare a cigarette for me? I’m gasping.”

 If you watch the video I can point out exactly where Tony and I were standing - Radio GaGa

After I left Lloyds Tony was one of the first person I recommended at my new job, Security Pacific, his career took off from there with him moving up to Birmingham for a role. My first ever visit to a hospital in Oxford was also Tony’s fault. He had a rather nasty car accident on a commute back from Brum to Reading, and was in John Radcliffe for a couple of weeks. Carol and I had been away, but we managed to get over to see him one day when we got back, he seemed well on his way to recovery. He died three days later, and we all still miss him. For a number of years following Tony’s death a group of us would meet in The Eldon Arms, our old stomping ground, for the Gathering, another nod in the direction of Highlander. Unfortunately, like most of these sort of things, it fizzled out after about 15 years as the group moved away from the area and families arrived to make meeting up more of a challenge.

Anna’s made a guest appearance back home for 10 days before she disappears off to her new life up in Leeds. We’re all very proud of what she’s achieved at Uni, and to land a graduate job so quickly is a real bonus. She’s bought herself a rather snazzy little Citroen C3, the downside being it only had an FM radio, so a quick trip to Halfords where the bank of Mum and Dad have ensured she can listen to DAB on her journeys.

The week has been a bit flat overall. I’ve managed to pick up a severe case of Man Flu which has resulted in an incredibly sore throat through coughing heavily, I suppose one upside of the operation is that in future all the gunk will come out of my stoma rather than my nose, I’ll save a fortune on handkerchiefs! I’ve heard nothing official from the hospital this week, other than a slightly surreal call to say my Pre-Op assessment will be next Friday at midday, nothing in writing yet though. The waiting is going to be hard, when I initially thought it was going to be two weeks that gave me little time to think, which in my case is good. Sleeping, as I’ve already said, is difficult. If I’m lying awake at night it’s so easy for the brain to start working overtime. The “What if’s?”, “How will we cope?”, “What happens if it comes back?” etc, etc……… I reckon over the next few weeks I’ll have gone through every possible scenario in my head. I just want it done and over with, that way we can plan the rest of our lives. As I said in the title life with Cancer is still life.

As always, thanks for reading.

To be continued……

#LifeWithCancer is still life


#Shoulder2Shoulder

2 comments:

  That There Abroad Place “Learning to fly” Our last foreign holiday was in March 2020, just as the world would change dramatically. U...