Friday 29 September 2017

I’m a MUG and I’m proud!



The weekend was a bit of a rollercoaster, some up’s, some down’s and a bit of flat stuff too. I eventually decided to go over to Chinnor to watch the Rams 1st XV and as Max wasn’t working he came along for the ride too. I think he also remembered that Chinnor do one of the best burgers on the circuit. I had it in my mind that the match was a 2pm kick off for some reason, so we kicked our heels in the bar for a couple of hours on discovering it was actually 3pm k/o, opps. The match was a strange one which never really seemed to take off as a spectacle as far as I was concerned. Rams too an early lead and went into half time all square at 14-14, it all went a bit downhill from there with Chinnor running our as comfortable winner by 36-14. I’d always remembered Chinnor as quite a passionate place to watch rugby with the locals really getting behind their team. There didn’t seem to be any of that last weekend, unless I just wasn’t in the right mood for it. I only took around 200 photos when I’d normally expect to shoot around 350 > 400 and those I did eventually edit weren’t up to my normal standards. A pretty early night followed on Saturday as tiredness had taken over, dinner had been a struggle so bed was a better option.



Sunday was one of the highlights for me as the Rams 1st XV and support staff turn up to help the Mini Section train and then have the fun and games of a Q&A session in the bar afterwards. 


I went up to OBR and got some cracking shots of smiling faces, and that wasn’t just from the small players! It’s great that the Senior players give something back to the club, they always seem to enjoy the experience and the youngsters certainly enjoy being coached by the players, they’ll hopefully be along on Saturday to see their heroes on playing on the pitch. For both Saturday and Sunday at rugby I wore my “Hands Free” kit and managed to get through a good few hours before having to change over to a normal push HME filter. The reason for the change on Saturday was vaguely amusing as one of the guys from Rams reckoned I’d got my Welsh filter in as I was sounding decidedly as if I was from the Valleys 😊 Now wouldn’t it be a great idea if you could get different accents from the filters? On Sunday I was showing a couple of friends how the system works, ie you twist the filter until you get the correct air flow to enable sound to be produced. This spurred on one wit to announce that they’d now found my volume button, and if I started to talk bollox they could just turn my off at the throat button!



I was again very flat when I got home and edited the pictures. I was very, very tired and even an hour asleep couldn’t shake the lethargy. A slightly better attempt at eating dinner, but still not great and I’ve dropped back under the 80kg figure again

Some of you will be aware of the Peter and Jane blog that I follow and comment on from Facebook. The author of the blog is the very talented Gill Sims and her debut book is being published in October. It’s called “Why Mummy Drinks” and will be available via most outlets to pre-order (ie Amazon!). She is also releasing the book in audio form and declined the offer to read her own words. So, the publishers searched far and wide before coming up with Gabrielle Glaister as the perfect voice for “Mummy”. Most of you will probably know Gabrielle best as the actor who brilliantly played “Bob” in Blackadder.

 The way that Rowan Atkinson managed to use the simple name “Bob” to such great comic effect was pure genius. I guess it was around the late 80’s / early 90’s that Blackadder was at its peak. At that time I was working at Security Pacific in Reading. We had an “In House” lawyer called Robert Holmes, he was very Welsh and not known for his sense of humour. It took about two episodes before Robert became known to one ‘n all as “Bob” and he didn’t take it at all well. It was not unknown for people to come up with spurious reasons to consult the on tap legal eagle in his office. The conversations didn’t take too long. It would usually be something along the lines of :
Collector “Hi, have you got a few minutes to run through a case with me?”
Robert “Yes, come in, I can give you 10 minutes, what’s the problem?”
Collector “Well………… “Bob”….. I was hoping……..”
Robert “GET OUT OF MY OFFICE YOU PIECE OF SH*T”
Of course the office door had been left open so the rest of the staff could hold a sweep stake on how long before “Bob” blew his top!

I’m getting a bit concerned with Countrywide Supplies, the company who are supposedly my one stop shop for my filters, bases plates, etc. Over three weeks ago I called them to discuss changing my prescription order to reflect that I’m working with the hands free system but I’m relying on supplies given to me by Caroline at RBH. Countrywide said to leave it with them and they’d sort everything out for me. Well, three weeks later I still hadn’t heard anything so I called them back. The girl I spoke to gave me the biggest load of bullshit I’ve heard in a long time. She umm’d and ahh’d her way before saying that Caroline had been on holiday and they couldn’t contact her. That was a blatant lie as I know Caroline has been working as I’ve met with her! I let loose at the poor girl on the phone, the one who’s supposed to be my day to day contact. I realise I’m lucky to be getting all these medical suppliers free of charge, but I’m not overly lucky to have to be using them in the first instance, and I certainly don’t appreciate being lied to. If they’ve cocked up and forgotten the order then that’s fine, just admit it and get it sorted out. I’ve been promised that the order will go in without delay, but I’ve no confidence that I won’t be calling them up again in a week’s time. (At the time of publishing they haven't reverted to me!)

Thursday was a full on day. An early appointment at my Opticians as my latest bunch of lens have been splitting after a couple of weeks, rather than lasting the one month they’re supposed to. I’ve used the same opticians for probably the past 20 years or so and whilst perhaps not the cheapest, they do offer a great service. The long and short of the appointment is that my lens is being changed to one slightly more robust at no extra charge and a free sample was provided on the spot. I had an hour or so to spare after my visit to Eyesite so I decided to get the now normal “No.1 all over” done as my hair was getting a bit flyaway J There was a girl in the barbers who I hadn’t seen before, I’m pretty sure she was Polish, when I say down in the chair she asked if I minded telling her about “Lary” and whether it was down to smoking? I explained that whilst it had never been proven in my case it was highly likely that was the reason for the cancer. She explained that she’d been nagging her boyfriend for ages to pack in and would be telling him about me when she got home. I wrote down the blog address for her, so if you’re reading this, hopefully your boyfriend will take notice. Last Sunday, whilst up at OBR, a young lad of about 5 or 6 tugged at my trousers and asked why I spoke with a funny voice. I’d already decided that I was going to always answer that question the same way. “I was stupid, I smoked, so don’t smoke when you’re older.” The little lad looked at me and just said “Ok” before wondering off to do something far more interesting than talking to an old bloke.

Thursday was also my first meeting with the Reading Lary Club. I’ll admit that I was a bit nervous beforehand, almost like being the new boy at school. To a man (and one woman) they were a great bunch and it was interesting to be in a room with everyone speaking via a Lary. There was only one chap who was using Hands Free and he admitted that sometimes he struggled with it. I was by far the newest member, the oldest Lary was done over 20 years ago, the newest, (bar me) was about 2 years ago. Caroline from Speech Therapy was there and gave a short talk about how it’s possible to smell by using a technique she showed the group. She passed around half a dozen items for us to have a sniff at. The only one I could smell using the new technique was Marmite, so, it looks like I’ll have to do some homework to get this working. Having a sense of smell back would be wonderful. The rest of the meeting was really just spent chatting in general, and as the new boy there were a fair few questions winging my way. I didn’t mind at all, and in the next few meetings I’ll make sure I chuck my fair share of questions back as being able to pick the brains of guys who’ve been there and got the T-Shirt will be valuable to me going forward. Whilst in the meeting Caroline had a quick word with me about Countrywide, she confirmed that they’d been trying to contact her, but due to her schedule they kept missing her, she’d left a message suggesting they email her! I explained that I was getting more and more pissed off with them, and whilst I’m not short of supplies yet, I haven’t got confidence that they’ll supply if I am short. I do have the option of using another supplier, so unless Countrywide get their act in order I’ll be off to pastures new.

The meeting broke up just in time for me to get down to the ENT Dept. for my scheduled meeting, well by the time I got seen the meeting could have gone on for another hour, they were running that far behind. I eventually got called in to see a Dr. who I’ve not met before. I’d hoped to be seeing either Cool Dude or More Scary than Scary as I had a few concerns from the last couple of weeks, but hey ho, NHS customers can’t choose their consultants. The last time I was in More Scary than Scary was a bit concerned about a part of my throat that wasn’t looking too great, hence the request to stop using the Lary tube. The new Dr. shone her torch down and was happy with the stoma size, it hasn’t shrunk over the past couple of Lary free weeks, but she was a bit concerned that the white bit was still there about two inches down in my throat. She called in Cool Dude for a second opinion and he’s decided that due to my history of being really, really, really shit at getting better, they’d better do a biopsy on the little blighter to make sure it’s not another nasty. The question now is can they do it under a local, or do I need yet another general? The challenge will be the airway and how I can breath if I’m under. He asked me my opinion on the matter which I thought was quite brave of him as my knowledge of cancer surgery is pretty limited on the basis I’m usually asleep when it happens. I said I’d be led by him as he’s the expert, but if he cocks it up I’ll be removing him from my Christmas list. I’d really hoped that my days of going under the knife were over, at least for a few years, but it seems not. The Biopsy will be scheduled for some time in mid-October and will be done in the day unit as per usual. I should get my own single room what with being a regular customer.

My other concerns, that I eventually got to discuss, were the state of my chest and the output from my chest over the last few days! Up until last weekend I’d seemed to have got on top of my coughing and throat clearance. One HME was lasting all day and the Hands Free was proving to be a real benefit. However since the weekend I’ve been coughing more and more and instead of a nice clear mucus I’ve been producing a creamy coloured type of gunk. (I do hope you’re not eating). The Dr. is slightly concerned I’ve developed a chest infection whilst suffering from SEVERE MAN FLU last week. A chest X-Ray and a course of anti-biotics was ordered, if the X-Ray shows anything of concern then I’ll be called back in, but hopefully the drugs will do the trick.

The week wasn’t really finishing up on a very positive note. By now I had it in my mind that I’d be back to living a normal life and visits to the hospital would be once a month, in ‘n out “See you later”, some hope. But, and it’s a MASSIVE, FUCK OFF CANCER YOU BASTARD, but……………. I’m now officially a MUG! You may remember my post back in August when we were down in Porthcothan and met up with the bold and noble Sidney 


Sidney celebrated his birthday yesterday with the annual Sidney Birthday Honours Awards. Carol was awarded the title of Auntie which she got for services to stalking and wine drinking (Oh and for looking after me!) I’ve been an Uncle now for a while, but was surprised and delighted to be promoted to the level of a MUG (Mighty Uncle Group) for services to living life to the full J So, when I think I’m a bit pissed off with not being able to do all the things I want to do, and when I’m moaning about having to have another medical procedure, all I need to do is think back and realise that being a MUG is a massive honour!  

Friday was quiet as I was still feeling a bit gurgley (is that even a word?) and hadn’t had a great night’s sleep yet again. However the day was an important one in the battle against cancer as it was the MacMillan coffee and cake day.


Nino’s always has a coffee and cake morning to raise funds for MacMillan so Max and I popped down  to partake. A couple of cups of cappuccino with Max complementing his with a massive slice of Limonchello cake. Last year Nino’s raised over £1,000 for the cause and they’re hoping to top that figure this year. I bought some raffle tickets to win a £100 meal voucher and donated some more cash to come away with these three little beauties! 



This blog is probably the shortest I’ve written for some considerable time. I’m finding it hard to come up with stories at the moment and I don’t want this to turn back into a “On Monday I did this” type of blog. It may well be that I move from weekly publishing to either every two weeks or possibly every month.

Next week is going to be a big one. I’ve my first business meeting up in London for work since my Op. To say I’m nervous is an understatement, coughing an HME across a room with friends is one thing, to do it in front of people you don’t know is quite another. Still, I’ve a weekend to get through before that, Max is out tonight and Saturday so we might polish up the chandeliers if we’re not both feeling under the weather again. Then there’s the small matter of Rams taking on top of the table side Cinderford at OBR on Saturday, should be a cracking match.

As always, thanks for reading. 

To be continued (In some way, shape or form)…………..


#Shoulder2Shoulder 

No comments:

Post a Comment

  That There Abroad Place “Learning to fly” Our last foreign holiday was in March 2020, just as the world would change dramatically. U...