Friday 22 April 2016

All quiet on the Western Front.

Week 15

Saturday 16th  > Sunday 17th

Well that was a weekend of differing temperatures! Freezing, wet & windy on Saturday at Reading RFC, then warm & sunny at Rams on Sunday.

I went up to Reading RFC to watch Rams compete in the Berkshire Vets Cup against Reading RFC. We ran out as comfortable 41-14 winners. But by God it was cold! I had 5 layers on & reckon 2 more wouldn’t have gone amiss. It was good to catch up with some friends from Reading RFC who I haven’t seen since I was diagnosed. Saturday evening was spent at friends having dinner & trying to persuade them to let me have a go with the parking assist system of their new car. They wisely declined!


Sunday was spent mainly at OBR helping out with the Mini Festival, however I felt pretty knackered so left around midday (most of the hard work had been done by that time) & headed over to Beaconsfield to watch Max in his penultimate match for the Colts. They manged a 26-14 victory & he got on the score sheet again! I think that’s 7 for the season, got to be a record for him.
I’m going to have to make a decision as to whether I drink or not again soon. I can see it would be easy to slip into old habits quite quickly if I’m not careful.

Monday 18th > Friday 22nd
I don’t think there will be that many updates this week, it’s a case of treading water & waiting until the appointment with Scary next week. I used to be a pretty keen golfer going back a few years, but I haven’t played now for probably 4 years, so if anyone is on the lookout for a set of clubs etc…………….. £200 ono  

We took advantage of Carol not working on Mondays to have a pleasant lunch in town at Cau. The food there is pretty good, it’s the service that leaves a bit to be desired. I don’t like being asked “Have you ever eaten here before?” I really don’t see the point, it’s not like they’ll be serving food in a different manner to any other restaurant. Whilst I’m on a roll, “Have We finished?” is not the way to speak to customers. They also served the burger I ordered on a brioche bun, that is simply wrong!! & finally, they added a tip to the bill, again, wrong! The Trip Advisor review is currently awaiting publication. Other plans were put on hold as the weather was pants & I was feeling pretty rough.

3 hours sleep in the afternoon, I think I may have pushed things a bit far over the weekend.

I woke on Tuesday morning with a throat that felt as though I’d swallowed a load of blunt razor blades! Not great & probably reinforces the thought that I’d overdone it a tad at the weekend. 

The day was spent largely on the sofa watching old episodes of Californication, a cracking show for about 7 or 8 years ago. Well worth looking up if you can find it. Oh, I also polished 7 pairs of shoes, I must be ill!

Another breakfast meeting with my boss on Wednesday, I’ll be going back to work on 3rd May, initially for around 3 hours a day, with a view to building up to full time by the time I get back from our holiday at the end of June. I’ve got to say I’m so grateful for the support I’ve had from work. I’ve heard stories of companies hanging their employees out to dry once the “C” word is mentioned. That hasn’t been the case with my employers. Ok, a couple of not great letters, but that’s more a box ticking exercise. The guys I work with directly couldn’t have been better. I’m looking forward to getting back into the swing of things. It’s unlikely I’ll go out & see any customers until we’re back from Corfu, I want to be able to get some weight back on so that my suits aren’t hanging off me.

The one question they’ve got is when will I know my results. At the moment I just don’t know. So I’ve mailed the CNS Ladies to see if they’re able to give any time lines for me to pass on.  My main concern today is with my hair line!! It seems that the back of my head on the right hand side is not growing & probably suffering from the RT zapping, this is going to cause a very strange looking mullet if it is the case! Looks like Carol will have to get used to a No.1 all over as I’m not going to go around looking like I’m wearing a syrup! A quick trip into town tomorrow I think to see what Paul the Barber reckons.

On Wednesday evening Max had his final training session as a Youth rugby player, on Sunday he’ll play his final youth match against local rivals Reading. I think Sunday could be an emotional day, in more ways than one. Bring your hunting horns if you’re coming along “Tally Ho………..”

I received a mail back from the CNS Nurses. The plan is for Scary to stick a camera up my nose next Thursday & then towards the end of May I’ll have a CT Scan a couple of days prior to seeing Scary again when she’ll hopefully be able to give me the results, be it good or not so clever. I remember a conversation I had with Jo some months ago when I asked how I’d know if I’d been cured. Her reply was that I’d start to feel better. Well, feeling better is pretty relative. Compared to 6 weeks ago when I was on my way to RBH in an ambulance I feel 2000% better. But do I feel better than I did back prior to undertaking the RT & Chemo? I’m not sure. My voice is still pretty knackered, I’m very tired, & at the moment my throat is bloody sore, which it wasn’t in early December. Does this mean that the treatment hasn’t worked? Or does it just mean that it’s too early to be able to say I’m now ok? Time will tell, shame I’m an impatient old Hector!

Thursday morning was largely spent making a screen show for the Colts End of Season Presentations on Sunday. I like putting this sort of thing together, its fun to look back at old photos of some of the lads when they were U7s now that they’re 18 year olds J
It’s a shame I haven’t got that many shots of some of the lads who’ll be moving into Senior rugby, but I’m quite happy with the results. I’ve been messing around with the soundtrack, but I’m not sure my musical tastes match those of the average 18 year old.

It’s seemed like quite a long day on Thursday. Carol left for work before I got up & Max left for school just after, he won’t be home until around 8.30pm & Carol around 7pm. That’s a long time to be in your own company.

I was never a massive fan of Prince, but I can’t think of another year when so many icons have buggered off in such a short time. He was undoubtedly a great guitarist & songwriter, also without question a grade 1 nutcase! I did however love Victoria Wood’s work & was very sad to hear of her passing. Such a wonderful comedian in a totally unobjectionable way.

Friday started with a bit of drama. Penny (the cat!) had obviously been in a heck of a scrap overnight, there was blood all over the kitchen floor & she could hardly walk on her rear right leg. An £80 trip to the vets later & she appears not to have broken her leg, but is badly bruised & severely pissed off! Injections & antibiotics dished out before she goes back for another assessment tomorrow. I’d put money on the fight being with the neighbours “Bengal” cat which is a massive & vicious creature! It’ll have my size 10’s up its backside if I can get near enough to it! Penny spent most of the day underneath our bed, hopefully recuperating. Whilst she’s not exactly fond of me & doesn’t sit on me at all I am becoming quite attached to her & wouldn’t want to lose her after only a year.

The weekend will largely be spent in or around a rugby ground, for the last time this season. Rams have their final home match of the season against local(ish) rivals Chinnor. Whilst still not mathematically safe it would take some rather strange results for Rams to get relegated. The match at Chinnor earlier this season was a cracker (Unless you’re a defence coach), the final score was 41-39 to Rams with Chinnor having two attempts at a conversion on the final whistle to draw the match. With a decent forecast tomorrow it should be a cracking match. It’ll also be my last time on the camera for the season. I haven’t been to as many matches as I’d have liked back in September, but I’ve only missed one home game & I was technically there at kick off, just in the back of an ambulance! Sunday, as previously mentioned, will be spent watching Max & the other Senior Colts playing their last match of Youth rugby. It’s then back to OBR for lashings of Jelly & Ice Cream J

My second “Rant” of this week’s blog relates to Planet Rock, they’ve recently changed their bandwidth on DAB, what was a great station to listen to whilst in the car has now turned into a bloody nightmare. It drops signal all over the place & makes it just about unlistenable to. What a shame, whilst it’s a station of limited taste, that taste was mine J


Next week has the makings of being a busy week, Dentist, Website meeting & the all important meeting with Scary Spice on Thursday. The others pale into insignificance compared to Thursday. The week is ending on a fairly positive note. Whilst my throat is a bit sore & my voice a tad croaky I actually feel ok. My weight is continuing to increase, slowly & I’ll be back at work soon. It’s almost as if life is getting back to normal. 

As always, thank you for reading this blog, it’s really appreciated.
To be continued…………………………..
#shouldertoshoulder

No comments:

Post a Comment

  That There Abroad Place “Learning to fly” Our last foreign holiday was in March 2020, just as the world would change dramatically. U...